Burnout has been increasingly acknowledged as a growing crisis in healthcare. In this context, the skills to manage stress, calm the nervous system, and process emotions such as anxiety, fear, anger, and grief are all the more important. The goal of Compassion Institute (CI) is to serve those who serve us – to equip healthcare professionals with the tools and skills to care for their own well-being, which will ultimately also benefit the patients and communities they serve.
About Compassion Institute
The Compassion Institute (CI) is a global advocate for compassion education, programs, and research. Our work was initiated at Stanford University School of Medicine Neurosciences Institute in 2009 to support human health, well-being, and interpersonal relationships within organizations and communities. Programs are developed by thought leaders and industry experts in compassion science and education, contemplative science, psychology, healthcare, and social sciences.
VIEW CURRENT CI TRAINING OFFERINGS
Care Package for Healthcare Professionals & Frontline Responders
The Compassion Institute has developed FREE downloadable resources to support the well-being of healthcare workers and front-line responders, including:
- Well-being practices booklet
- Portable cards summarizing each well-being practice
- Audio recordings
- Guided meditations
Compassionate Healthcare Program: Overview
Research has shown CI’s flagship 8- week program, Compassion Cultivation Training (CCT), can lead to:
- Acceptance of emotions
- Job satisfaction
- Self-caring behavior
- Compassion for self and others
- Openness to receiving compassion from others
- Mind wandering
- Emotional suppression
- Reports of chronic pain severity
Caring from the Inside Out: Foundations of Self and Collective Care (Live/Online)
5 weeks, 1 hour/week, live online
5 modules, 1 module / week. Each module includes on demand videos + 1 live online session.
• On demand videos: 10-25 min in length, educational content. Should be watched ahead of each module’s live session.
• 1-hour live online sessions: Video content will be translated into practical skills and application. An opportunity for participants to connect and learn with peers and an expert facilitator.
• Additional resources will complement each module, available in the course classroom.
• Participants will have indefinite access to all course materials.
Topics and skills covered include:
1. Gain a deeper understanding of the stressors that contribute to stress and burnout.
2. Shift from overwhelm and helplessness to a greater sense of agency in caring for one’s well-being.
3. Acquire tools to regulate the nervous system to de-stress and weave self-care into one’s routine.
4. Acquire and apply practical skills and tools for self and collective care to support the well-being of oneself and that of colleagues. Tools are designed to be accessible for participants with full schedules, and can be practiced with colleagues and within teams.
COMPASSION CULTIVATION TRAINING (CCT) WORKSHOP (Live/Online)
2 consecutive days/weeks (4 hours/day) / 4 consecutive days/weeks (2 hours/day), live online
This intensive workshop condenses the essence of CI’s flagship 8-week Compassion Cultivation Training (CCT) into a workshop format. Drawing from contemplative science, neuroscience, and psychology, the content is supported by research on the efficacy of CCT.
COMPASSION CULTIVATION TRAINING (CCT) (Live online)
8 weeks, 2 hour/week
This course is designed to cultivate the inherent quality of compassion that we as humans all have, so that it becomes the default stance from which we live and respond in daily life. Compassion for oneself and others is strengthened. Each class includes didactic, pair/group exercises, and contemplative practice.
For more information, please contact:
Program Director, Specialized Programs
347 781 1869